Hundreds of Science Fair Questions
Great Science Fair Project Questions to Explore
A great way to narrow down science fair topics is to ask specific, testable science fair questions. This will help you to really "zero in" on a specific problem or aspect of your topic, one that will form the basis of your project.
Here you will find a great list of testable science fair questions that you can use to make your final topic selection. These questions will also guide your science fair background research and they will definitely come in handy when the time comes for you to form your science fair hypothesis.
Now you might have heard the terms "science fair questions" and "science fair topics" used interchangeably and although they are very related, it useful to distinguish the between the two.
A science fair topic is more of a general area of study. I like to compare it to a chapter or section of a chapter of a textbook . A science fair question can then be considered as a specific aspect of that chapter or section.
As an example, say you have chosen seed germination as a topic; a particular science fair question, or area of this topic you can then choose to explore could be "in what types of soils do sunflower seeds grow the best?" See how they fit together... Here is some more information on asking science fair questions that you might find interesting.
So with all that in mind, you will find in the scroll box below, a great list of science fair questions that you can explore for your project. You can also work backwards, using them to find the types of science fair topics that interest you. More science fair questions will continually be added so make sure to bookmark this page and check back soon for some fresh ideas.
List of Science Fair Questions
Science Fair Questions 1-20
- How does the temperature of a tennis ball affect the height of its bounce?
- How does the air pressure of a soccer ball affect how far it travels when kicked?
- Does a metal baseball bat vibrate more than a wooden one?
- How does the weight of a bowling ball affect how many pins the ball knocks down?
- Which increases your heart rate more: walking up and down real stairs or using a stair-master?
- How does the length of time that a soda bottle is open affect its fizziness?
- How does the temperature of water affect the time its takes to freeze into ice cubes?
- How will the time spent chewing bubble gum affect its bubbles' maximum size?
- How will adding different flavors of Kool-Aid to water affect the water's boiling point?
- Which brand of popcorn leaves the fewest unpopped kernels?
- Does the flavor of gelatin affect the amount of time it takes to set?
- How does playing video games affect hand eye coordination?
- What is the effect of toothpaste brand on teeth cleaning power?
- How does a shampoo's brand affect the strength of hair?
- How does the type of material affect how long a shirt takes to dry?
- How does the fat content of cheese affect its stretchiness?
- How does yoga affect your flexibility?
- How does fast dancing affect your heart rate?
- How does humidity affect the curliness of hair?
- Which nail polish best resists chipping?
Science Fair Questions 21- 40
- In a blind taste test, can you tell the difference between nonfat, low fat, and whole milk?
- When your pour soda out of a newly opened soda bottle, which produces more fizz: regular or diet soda?
- Does the type of animal in a pet store window affect the number of people who are attracted to the window?
- Given the same amount of water, how does pot size affect the amount of time it takes to boil?
- What brand of trash bag can withstand the most weight before ripping?
- How does a light bulb’s wattage affect the amount of heat detected above a light?
- How does the amount of sugar in homemade ice cream affect how fast it freezes?
- Where is the best place to store home baked cookies to keep them fresh longest?
- Which type of bread turns moldy first: store bought or bakery bread?
- How does the type of container affect ice cream’s melting time?
- Which can support more weight: paper or plastic grocery bags?
- How does the amount of yeast affect how high bread rises?
- Which cereal brand stays crunchy in milk the longest?
- Which brand of chocolate bar melts fastest in the sun?
- Does the color of a terrarium affect a lizard’s skin color?
- Which brand of mouthwash kills the most bacteria?
- What brand of paper towel is most absorbent?
- Under what color light do plants grow the best?
- Which brand of breath mint lasts longest?
- How does brand affect ketchup’s flow?
Science Fair Questions 41- 60
- How does the type of music that a person listens to while exercising affect how hard he or she works out?
- How does the size of a bicycle’s tires affect how far it travels given a specific amount of pedaling?
- How does the amount of air in a bicycle’s tires affect how long it takes the bike to break?
- Does the surface of a tennis court affect the height that a tennis ball bounces?
- Does listening to one type of music lower heart rate more than another type?
- Which frozen dessert melts the slowest: ice cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet?
- If you are right handed or left-handed, do you also prefer a certain foot?
- How old does chewed gum have to be before it stops sticking to shoes?
- How does a person’s age affect his or her ability to see at night?
- How does the time of day affect your body’s temperature?
- How does the tension in a violin’s strings affect its pitch?
- Does one type of food fill you up faster than another?
- How does a person’s age affect his or her flexibility?
- How does hair’s curliness affect its strength?
- Does the brand of kitty litter affect clumping?
- How does the size of a drum affect its pitch?
- Which grows faster: fingernails or toenails?
- Does the time of day affect your flexibility?
- How does color affect a person’s mood?
- Does gender affect lung capacity?
Science Fair Questions 61- 80
- How does the type of music played in a store affect the number of purchases made by customers?
- How do various ski waxes affect the amount of friction between the ski and the snow?
- Does playing Sudoku puzzles improve your performance on other types of puzzles?
- How does the speed of a river’s current affect the size of the grains on the riverbed?
- Which type of soap removes more grease: dish soap, hand soap, or shampoo?
- What effect does watering have on how fast a plant grows from a seed?
- Which type of fruit is more acidic: lemons, oranges, or watermelon?
- What type of ground layers limit erosion most: sand, gravel, or soil?
- How does a parachute’s material affect the speed at which it falls?
- Does a no name stain remover work just as well as a brand name?
- How does the weight of a paper airplane affect its ability to fly?
- Which is a better insulator: wool, cotton, or down feathers?
- How does gravity affect the direction of a plant’s growth?
- How does shutter speed affect the color of a photograph?
- How can you speed up the ripening of tomatoes?
- How does the anticipation of a tickle affect you?
- How does air temperature affect your flexibility?
- In what type of lighting does a plant grow best?
- How does the weather affect your mood?
- Do all plants seek out light?
Science Fair Questions 81- 100
- What difference do low phosphorous fertilizers have on a lake’s pollution levels compared with standard fertilizers?
- Can people tell the difference between music played on an MP3 player, CD player, tape player, and turntable?
- How does the type of string used in a “can and string” phone affect the phone’s ability to transmit sound?
- How does the type of seed in a bird-feeder affect the types of birds that the feeder attracts?
- Are rooms with carpeted floors noisier or quieter than rooms with wooden floors?
- How does the amount of daylight that enters your room affect how late you sleep?
- Is the incidence of asthma in a region related to the area’s level of air pollution?
- How does the material of a bandage affect its ability to stock after getting wet?
- Do “triple roll” toilet paper rolls really last three times as long as regular rolls?
- How does the amount of air in a balloon rocket affect how far it flies?
- Does one cell phone carrier get better reception than other carriers?
- How does the color of a shirt affect the amount of heat it absorbs?
- How does humidity affect how often a plant needs to be watered?
- Which has a longer life: an LED or an incandescent light bulb?
- What types of flowers attract the highest number of butterflies?
- How does the time of day affect levels of algae in a lake?
- How dies tire pressure affect a car’s fuel efficiency?
- How does temperature affect the growth of mold?
- Which brand of potato chips has the least grease?
- How does meditation affect your heart rate?
Science Fair Questions 101- 120
- Does a person’s height affect his or her ability to successfully make a jump shot in basketball?
- Which type of cup will keep a hot drink warm longer: paper, plastic, Styrofoam, or glass?
- Do natural mosquito repellants keep more mosquitoes away than artificial repellants?
- Which is better at cleaning mold and mildew: vinegar or commercial cleaning agents?
- Which type of photos do people hold on to longer before making prints: digital or film?
- Does listening to music while studying affect your performance on a memory test?
- How much trash do you keep out of a landfill by recycling paper and plastics?
- How does the time of year affect the number of daylight in a 24 hour period?
- How does the magnification of binoculars affect how far you can see?
- Do different types of onions make your eyes tear up more than others?
- Which holds hair in place for a longer period of time: gel or hair spray?
- Which cleans teeth more effectively: baking soda or toothpaste?
- How does the type of stuffing in a pillow affect its fluffiness?
- Do mood rings accurately predict a person’s emotions?
- Do different brands of batteries last longer than others?
- Does the length of a clock’s pendulum affect its period?
- Do all chocolate candies have the same melting point?
- How do gas stations affect the soil around them?
- Does maple syrup’s “grade” affect its flow?
- Which uses more water: a shower or a bath?
Science Fair Questions 121- 140
- Do you wake up feeling more alert when you awaken to an alarm clock that buzzes, plays music, or plays nature sounds?
- How does the type of food dispensed in school vending machines affect the eating choices that kids make throughout the day?
- Does a person’s age affect whether he or she goes to the Internet, radio, TV, or newspaper for news?
- Are kids more likely to be influenced by ads that feature other kids or by ads that feature adults?
- Does the temperature of a hockey puck affect how far it will travel when struck by the stick?
- How does the temperature of a pool’s water affect the speed at which a swimmer swims?
- Is there a correlation between gender and the number of push ups that a person can do?
- Does the amount of time a student spends watching TV affect his or her grades?
- Which has a better chance of survival: grass that was planted as seed or sod?
- Does the weight of a baseball bat affect how far the ball goes when it is hit?
- Does the size of a dog determine how high or low pitched its bark is?
- Do girls spend more time talking on the phone with friends than boys?
- Is a person’s favorite subject in school influenced by gender?
- Which stays fresher longer: organic or non-organic fruit?
- Which stains dentures more: coffee, soda, or grape juice?
- Who buys from the “sale” rack more: kids or adults?
- Does the use of flippers help a person swim faster?
- Which type of fertilizer helps plants grow taller?
- Does the length of a surfboard affect its stability?
- Do best friends have the same favorite color?
Science Fair Questions 141- 160
- Does the type of liquid in a glass affect the pitch of the note that results when a person rubs the rim of the glass?
- Do people who live in rural areas name constellations correctly more often than people who live in cities?
- Do girls and boys talk about the same topics as each other when they hang out with their friends?
- Can people use their sense of hearing alone to tell apart a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter?
- Is there a relationship between people’s age and the amount of time they can hula hoop?
- How does increasing the height of a ramp affect how far a ball rolls down the ramp?
- How does the roughness of sandpaper affect its ability to smooth various surfaces?
- Can blindfolded people tell the difference between bottled water and tap water?
- Do left handed people prefer the same school subjects as right handed people?
- How does the strength of a magnetic field vary with the magnet?
- Can people identify their pet dog by the sound of its bark alone?
- Do people who exercise regularly have a greater lung capacity?
- Does the length of a bat affect how far a baseball will travel?
- Does your cat prefer one brand of food over another?
- Do objects float better in freshwater or in salt water?
- Do some materials conduct heat more than others?
- Does the length of a wind chime affect its pitch?
- How does a person’s age affect reaction time?
- Does weather affect satellite TV reception?
- How does caffeine affect people’s heart rate?
Science Fair Questions 161- 180
- How often can people correctly determine if a person is left handed or right handed just by looking at the person’s handwriting?
- Which type of container traps the most heat: a shoe box covered in aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or wax paper?
- How often can people accurately tell if someone is happy, sad, or mad just by looking at the person’s eyes?
- Do mildew resistant shower curtains really keep mildew away longer than regular shower curtains?
- Does your dog prefer water directly from the faucet or tap water that’s been refrigerated?
- Do thunderstorms happen more often in the afternoon than in the morning?
- Which best helps prevent soil erosion on a slope: plants, rocks, or mulch?
- Which toothbrushes last the longest: ones with natural or nylon bristles?
- Do certain bicycle helmets hold up better after an impact than others?
- Does the temperature affect the growth rate of shoots on a potato?
- What melts ice the fastest: sand, cat litter, or mineral rock salt?
- Does one brand of antacid neutralize acids faster than another?
- Does sunlight fade the paper more in books or magazines?
- Can you skate faster with in line skates or roller skates?
- In which room of the house do plants grow the highest?
- How does the shape of a boat’s hull affect its speed?
- Do gym shoes have more bacteria than sandals?
- Does a person’s weight vary throughout the day?
- How does water pressure vary with depth?
- Which air freshener lasts longest?
Science Fair Questions 181- 200
- Does washing your hands reduce the amount of bacteria on them more than not washing?
- Does using conditioner leave your hair with fewer knots than not using conditioner?
- Does bread stay fresher longer when it is kept in the refrigerator or on the counter?
- Does listening to rock music make you eat faster than listening to classical music?
- Do fans really make you cooler or do they just make you feel like you’re cooler?
- Does hair take longer to dry when using a hair dryer or when it dries naturally?
- Which do people prefer: a booth or a table toward the middle of a restaurant?
- Do plants inside a mall grow faster under artificial light or under a skylight?
- Does toothpaste with whitener whiten teeth more than regular toothpaste?
- Does your “handedness” have any relation to which eye is stronger?
- Which kind of gum keeps its flavor longer: sugar free or regular?
- Can you judge depth as well using just one eye than using two?
- Do taller people take longer strides than shorter people?
- Does exercise increase or decrease your energy levels?
- Do bigger lemons have more seeds than smaller ones?
- Which lightens stains better: vinegar or lemon juice?
- Does eye color affect how well a person sees?
- How does your sight affect your balance?
- Does squinting improve your vision?
- Which type of bread toasts fastest?
Hopefully these potential science fair questions have given you some great ideas and you have found one that you would like to explore further. If this is where you stand, here is a guide that will lead through what makes good science fair project topics and how to choose them.
Naturally, the types of science fair questions you form for your project will vary according to the type of project you plan to carry out for your science fair. Here are some examples of science fair projects with explanations of the project types they fall under.
Remember more science fair questions will continually be added so make sure to bookmark this page and pop around for another visit soon for some fresh ideas.
Top | Science Fair Projects Home > Winning Science Fair Projects > List of Science Fair Questions